9/19/19 Registration is still open!
Fall registration remains open until our second session at these sites--2nd meeting dates are in parentheses: Payton (9/28), Pilsen (9/30), Lane Tech (10/3), UChicago (10/5), and Bridgeport (10/8). We will keep registration open at our newer sites until the end of October: Back of the Yards, Little Village, Morgan Park.
Openings are availabe on a first come, first serve basis, so sign up ASAP. Please read the rest of this webpage, and then choose Login at the bottom of the page in order to create an account and register.
8/28/19 Fall Registration is Open!
Our new registration system is in place--sign up at the bottom of this page. You can now give ranked preferences and also merge more than one student's account under a single email address! Please note:
- While we have been testing the system, it's likely some bugs will crop up. Send issues to firstname.lastname@example.org. Consider coming back the next day to try again if a problem arises--we will almost always address problems within 24 hours. As long as you enter the lottery before September 8th, there is no advantage to registering early (after that date we are first come, first serve).
- Be sure to edit each student's information so that their schools and high school graduation years are correct. The graduation year determines what sessions you can enroll in, so it's essential to have this right!
- The link to 'Update Account' will always take you back to the main account page, which lists all Parents and Students associated with your account.
- Key information for families that currently have more than one child currently in math circles!
- Start by logging into one of the current child's account--call this person 'Child 1'.
- "Merge Other Accounts Into This Account" should be used to add 'Child 2' into the same account as Child 1. You will need to remember that Child 2's old account email login name and password to do the merge.
- Once you merge other children into a single account, ANY email address from the family account can be used to log in; the password associated with all of those addresses will be the password you used to log in to Child 1's account.
GENERAL REGISTRATION INFORMATION
Students can register here for math circles within eight communities: Back of the Yards, Bridgeport, Little Village, Morgan Park, North Center, Old Town, Pilsen, and the University of Chicago. Each of these circles has different age ranges and meeting dates. Please go to our Locations Page to see which grade levels, dates, times, and locations best fit you. If you are new to MC2, we also recommend our FAQ page, which can help you determine which program level to choose.
Returning students with good attendance from the previous quarter are automatically given spots in our programs if they complete their registration prior to the priority deadline/lottery run. Other students enter a lottery and are in a pool, with priority given to public school students in Chicago, but open to all 5th to 12th graders in Illinois. After the priority deadline any student can enroll for their session of interest until 4 days before the second session of the quarter. This is on a first come, first serve basis while space is available.
Join our mailing list to be sure to receive announcements about registration, meeting dates for sessions, and more! If you are new to math circles, you should also go ahead and create an account (see below). All Math Circles of Chicago sessions are free!
- Before you can register for a session, you must create an account.
- Creating an account does NOT mean you have registered! Once your account is activated you must use the system at the bottom of this page to sign up for a session.
- During the registration window you will be able to enter a lottery for any locations you are willing to attend, ordering them by preference. You get in automatically get into your session if there are fewer applicants then spots available. Otherwise we look at your 2nd choice, 3rd choice, etc.
- You will be notified of admission on our lottery day.
- If you are admitted to a session you will receive email notification the week prior to the start of the session with details about your site.
CHOOSING YOUR SESSION
- 5th and 6th Graders should sign up for Haynes-5/6.
- 8th graders, particularly those not currently in a high school Algebra 1 course, and all 7th graders should sign up for Brahmagupta-7/8.
- 8th graders and above enrolled in an Algebra 1 or Geometry course should sign up for Cantor-A1/G
- Students in 10th grade or above who have completed a Geometry course should sign up for Kovalevsky-A2/PC. Such students are also welcome to enroll in Cantor if they are new to math circles.
- Students who have completed two years in Kovalevsky-A2/PC should sign up for Euler. We know some younger students are interested in participating in Euler because they are doing advanced course work at school--feel free to email us at email@example.com to and tell us about yourself, and we can have a conversation about whether Euler is the appropriate choice for you.