Online Sign Up is Open 3/27/20
MC2 is going to be offering online math circle sessions starting on March 31st. Learn more here and sign up here. Note that in the near term we will not be using our registrtation system (accessible at the bottom of his page). Instead you can indicate you want notifications about our online sessions by clicking that 2nd 'here'. :)
Summer Registration is Open
Due to the uncertainty because of the spread of the COVID-19 virus, we are delaying our summer lottery until April 30th. Expect updates later this spring as we learn how our camps may be impacted by government and school policies as they develop. You can subscribe to our newsletter here to be sure you get the latest news concerning our plans.
We recommend you go to our new Summer webpage to learn about the different summer camps we are offering, where they are located, what grade levels they serve, and our sliding scale fee system. Then return to this page to login and rank your summer choices.
If you are new to math circles, see the NEW ACCOUNTS section below to learn how to create your own account. Please read the Tips for Account Creation to avoid common pitfalls.
Spring Math Circles are Suspended
Due to concerns about the spread of the COVID-19 virus, MC2 and its partners have decided to suspend math circle sessions at least through April 21st. Look for announcements about the status of the remaining spring sessions by early April.
GENERAL REGISTRATION INFORMATION
Students can register here for math circles within eight communities: Back of the Yards, Bridgeport, Little Village, Morgan Park, North Center, Old Town, Pilsen, and the University of Chicago. Each of these circles has different age ranges and meeting dates. Please go to our Locations Page to see which grade levels, dates, times, and locations best fit you. If you are new to MC2, we also recommend our FAQ page, which can help you determine which program level to choose.
Returning students with good attendance from the previous quarter are automatically given spots in our programs if they complete their registration prior to the priority deadline/lottery run. Other students enter a lottery and are in a pool, with priority given to public school students in Chicago, but open to all 5th to 12th graders in Illinois. After the priority deadline any student can enroll for their session of interest until 4 days before the second session of the quarter. This is on a first come, first serve basis while space is available.
Join our mailing list to be sure to receive announcements about registration, meeting dates for sessions, and more! If you are new to math circles, you should also go ahead and create an account (see below). All Math Circles of Chicago sessions are free!
- Before you can register for a session, you must create an account. Choose log in below and follow the instructions.
- Creating an account does NOT mean you have registered! Once your account is activated you must use the system at the bottom of this page to sign up for a session.
- During the registration window you will be able to enter a lottery for any locations you are willing to attend, ordering them by preference. You get in automatically get into your session if there are fewer applicants then spots available. Otherwise we look at your 2nd choice, 3rd choice, etc.
- You will be notified of admission on our lottery day.
- If you are admitted to a session you will receive email notification the week prior to the start of the session with details about your site.
Tips for account creation
- The student email address can NOT be the same as the parent address. You can leave the student email address blank.
- Chances are 99% that your school is already on our school list. if you begin to type any part of your school's name it should appear in the drop down list.
- Even if your child is in middle school, you must include their high school graduation year!
- 5th graders will graduate from high school in 2027
- 6th graders will graduate from high school in 2026
- 7th graders will graduate from high school in 2025
- 8th graders will graduate from high school in 2024
CHOOSING YOUR SESSION
- 5th and 6th Graders should sign up for Haynes-5/6.
- 8th graders, particularly those not currently in a high school Algebra 1 course, and all 7th graders should sign up for Brahmagupta-7/8.
- 8th graders and above enrolled in an Algebra 1 or Geometry course should sign up for Cantor-A1/G
- Students in 10th grade or above who have completed a Geometry course should sign up for Kovalevsky-A2/PC. Such students are also welcome to enroll in Cantor if they are new to math circles.
- Students who have completed two years in Kovalevsky-A2/PC should sign up for Euler. We know some younger students are interested in participating in Euler because they are doing advanced course work at school--feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to and tell us about yourself, and we can have a conversation about whether Euler is the appropriate choice for you.